Healthy and Safe Swimming Week
With Memorial Day around the corner we would like to give you to some tips to stay healthy and safe over the holiday weekend!
Avoid Spreading Germs
Chlorine kills most germs in minutes, but some germs can survive for days.
Tips to stop spreading germs and protect your kids:
- Shower before entering the pool
- Don’t Swallow water
- Stay out of the water if you have diarrhea
- Use sunscreen and don’t forget to reapply
- EVERY HOUR
- Take bathroom breaks
- Check and change diapers
Drowning is the #2 accidental cause of death of children in Michigan.
- ALWAYS supervise; NEVER leave your child alone in or near water!
- Use life jackets correctly
- Know CPR
Prevent Mishandling Pool Chemicals
Every year nearly 5,000 Emergency Room visits are a result of mishandling pool chemicals.
- Read labels and directions carefully
- Wear appropriate safety equipment
- Never add pool chemicals when someone is in the water
- Store chemicals out of reach of children
Swimming is a fun and healthy way to get physical activity, and don’t forget the sunscreen! Stay safe over the holiday weekend, and remember:
Healthy Kids are Happy Kids!
Reminder: Our office will be closed on Saturday May 23rd and Monday May 25th!
Want to learn more? Check out these sites:
- Healthy Swimming Site- www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming
- Healthy and Safe Swimming Week- www.cdc.gov/healthywater/observances/hss-week/index.html
- Safe Swimming Links- www.cdc.gov/healthywater/swimming/injury/index.html