Posts for: June, 2015
Farmers Market Fun
June 24th, 2015
Taking your family to your local farmers market can be lots of fun. This weekly family activity can also make a great learning experience! Check out our Top 5 reasons to hit the farmers market with your children, plus a few tips:
- Quality Family Time
Going to the farmers market is an easy activity to spend time together as a family with children of all ages! Spending time together is an essential part of your child’s life. Benefits of quality family time are:
- Stronger bonds between parents and children
- Helps improve communication within the family
- Improved communication leads to success at school
- Reduced behavioral problems for teens
- Learn About Making Meals
The farmers market is a great opportunity for your child to learn about what goes into making a meal. Before heading to the market find a recipe to make and then look for the ingredients together at the market. After your trip spend time preparing the meal together.
- Teach Your Kids About Local Food
While shopping at the farmers market ask the farmers where their farm is to help your children understand what local food means. You can also explain to your children how purchasing local food helps to financially support the local community.
- Learn about Seasonal Foods
Regularly attending a farmers market will help your child learn what it means for a food to be in season and natural. Encourage your children to ask the farmers questions about why only certain foods are available at that time of year.
- Identify Fruits and Vegetables
Learning the names of fruits and veggies—and what they look like is an important lesson to learn. If you’re unsure of the name of a vegetable or what it looks like, how likely are you to eat it? Try getting a new fruit or vegetable each week to find out what your kids like!
- Ask questions about unfamiliar foods and how to prepare them
- Carry cash- many vendors will accept cash only
- Get to the farmers market early to beat the crowds
- Bring bags to the market- some vendors do not have them
Check out Milford’s Farmers Market on Thursday Afternoons from 3pm-8pm. The location is East Liberty Street between S. Main St. & Union St
Remember Happy Kids=Healthy Kids!
June 4th, 2015
Runny nose, sneezing, and itchy eyes, sound familiar? Your child may be suffering from seasonal allergies. This time of the year pollen levels are high and if your child is allergic to pollen their body will start to react.
Symptoms of an Allergy
Think your child has allergies? These are the most common symptoms experienced in children:
- Clear, runny nose
- Itchy eyes, nose and throat
- Nasal congestion
Common Causes of Allergies
Many common allergens travel through the air causing your child’s allergies, see the list below:
- Dust Mites
How to control Symptoms of Allergies
- Use air conditioning- this reduces exposure to allergens in your home and car
- Avoid Mold- in spring and summer children should stay away from decaying vegetation where mold grows
- Clean furniture, rugs, and bedding in hot water- this is where dust mites are most commonly found, you can also buy allergen proof covers for beds and furniture
- Replace Pillows- this should be done every 2-3 years
Work With Dr. Kostecke to Resolve Allergies
Has your child recently developed allergies? Schedule an appointment to get them checked out!
Dr. Kostecke will work with you and your child to develop the best allergy prevention and treatment plan!
Want to learn more? Check out this site:
Remember, we are always here to help!
Healthy kids = Happy Kids!